COOPERATIVA VECCHIA CANTINA DI MONTEPULCIANO
THE OLDEST WINE COOPERATIVE IN TUSCANY
HOW IT ALL BEGAN
Founded in 1937 on the initiative of 14, pioneering producers, its production history began in 1940 with the first bottling. Having survived the difficult years of the Second World War and the land reorganisation of the 1950’s, the Winery operated through the 60’s and 70’s as a true, driving force throughout the entire territory, a role that it maintains today.
What has contributed most to make this winery so influential are the people who mirror the human value of this historical label, despite their large number.
HOW WE WERE
Vecchia Cantina through the years
On 11th July, 1937 Vecchia Cantina di Montepulciano was founded on the initiative of 14 producers. The first production and bottling year was 1940.
This was the year the winery's headquarters were constructed in Montepulciano, in Via Provinciale, 7, where they are still located today. Over time it has been expanded and modernised to adapt to new requirements.
The complex houses offices, warehouses, tanks for storing finished wines, the bottling line, and two splendid, underground barrel rooms.
A retail shop is located beside the main building.
50th ANNIVERSARY OF THE FOUNDING
In this photo: the President, Aldo Trabalzini with the acting Administrative Council of the time, who
celebrated the event.
THE MODERN BARREL ROOM
The winery's significant growth meant that the resulting need for a larger space in which to age their Vino Nobile di Montepulciano in large Slovenian oak barrels became an absolute priority. In 2001, 2,800 Sq m entirely dedicated to ageing-barrels were added. The room holds 250 barrels with a capacity from a minimum of 35 hl to 50 and 85 hl. There are also 17 steel vats of 50, 65 and 170 hl, and of course French oak barrels and barriques.
70th ANNIVERSARY OF THE FOUNDATION
The magnum of our 2003 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano was given a special label commemorating the 70th anniversary of the founding of the winery.
RENEWAL OF THE VINIFICATION PLANT
The vinification plant was renewed in 2007 with the acquisition of new fermentation tanks and the updating of existing ones (of 1,200 hl); all completely temperature controlled, which allows for various types of vinification. There are also small fementation tanks of 100 and 200 hl, making it possible to work with selected grapes and organic vinification.
THE NEW BOTTLING LINE
With the new bottling line we are able to bottle 5,000 bottles per hour and maintain a consistent quality over the entire production.
This is due to the innovative control characteristics of the system: washing and removal of foreign bodies in the bottles, automatic regulation of levels, injection of pure inert gas to guarantee very low levels of oxygen absorption, and rejection of non-standard bottles; all of which provides a greater guarantee of quality.
The 11th July 2017 recur the 80 years since the founding of the company